This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

First trip to Work and new Tyres

I drove the Vogue to work for the first time today - partly because the tyre place is over the road and partly because a couple of colleagues that have been following progress are leaving at the end of the week.
I now have Hankook 185/65R13 Enfren tyres on the car.

The Vogue on it's new silicone.

The guys (and gals) at work were uncondionally supportive and it was a immense relief to have other people see the car actaully working, not just a web page.
The trip went without incident. To and from work is 30km total, the other 8km was joy rides which cost me around 15km in range - hmmm! (Whoops. I realised that I didn't take Eastlink so my trip was 17.1km one way - possibly more going home. That makes more sense.)
By the time I arrived home tonight (Odo=110km), the total was 38.21km travelled with 9.01AH taken from the pack. At 600V that's 5400W/hr with equates to 142wh/km. The dash showed remaining range as 29.40km to 80% DOD (I allowed 16AH for use).

While we had the LEAF on trial we got around 170wh/km so I'm really happy with the figures.
The drive to work was on 70km/h and 80km/h roads so the 67km projected range for 16AH is pretty much on the button from Woody's (AEVA) spreadsheet.
Since the trip to work was on the old cruddy tyres, next time should be even better.

I still have a tailshaft issues which I think now must be differential pinion angle.
My target for the moment is VicRoads approval so everything else can wait. I pick up the polycarbonate partition for the boot tomorrow and I'll be preparing the car for inspection over the Christmas to new Year break.

No comments: